We are pleased to announce our partnership with and support of Mission 21, a local Rochester charity dedicated to helping rehabilitate survivors of human sex trafficking locally and statewide. Here are some disturbing, but very real statistics below:
- By very conservative measures, a November 2010 study found that each month in Minnesota at least 213 girls are sold as sex slaves an average of five times per day through the Internet and escort services.
- A November 2010 study found that on any given weekend night in Minnesota, 45 girls under age 18 are sold for sex through the internet classified websites and escort services.
- Victims are manipulated or forced into situations from which they cannot escape. Often, young runaways are picked up by traffickers, many within only 48 hours of leaving home.
- Sex slaves are imprisoned and controlled by threats, pain, fear and drugs. Many are trafficked by people whom they know and trust, including friends of the family, neighbors or older men.
- Some are trafficked by people who seemed legitimate, such as modeling or acting agents or by job recruiters.
When you sign up for our Wits&Grit event, we are directly donating a portion of your sign-up fee to Mission 21.
"You can feel good knowing that you helped make a difference in the lives of local former sex slaves that were held against their will and are now trying to rehabilitate back into normal society."
Mission 21 is a beautiful organization that helps those that no one else will.
For more information visit: www.mission21mn.org
Want to make a REAL difference in a local childs life?